Sunday, March 1, 2009

the end is nigh

The end of winter that is, thank all that is holy! We're heading into one of my fave times of year, that short period of time when you feel very "is it or isn't it" about the season change! There will be an electricity in the air and things really start to happen. I'm looking very much forward to it! Especially because life keeps getting better...I can feel it! Or perhaps it's the Vitamin D pills talking ;)

To get on these updates here...

#2 - My website!!! I've it a bit of a lull at work and so I decided, in my sudden "spare" time, I'd start my portfolio site for the hell of it. Lo and behold, I'm actually getting somewhere! The hardest part has been organizing my work to showcase...so far I've set up my CK print stuff, as well as my freelance logos, but I've got a long way to go. I have to set up my CK web stuff, some photography, including Tazinos, some misc freelance, as well as some examples of my greeting cards/invites.

Anyway, my mom came over today to help me set up the site itself...I purchased a domain and set up the web hosting and all that fun stuff (nearly $100 later yikes). I can't wait to actually finish it...what a trip that will be, it's been such a long time coming. And who do I have to thank? CK for leading me into this web design biz! And who knew I'd like it so much?!! It's sort of like math in HS...it can be frustrating as hell, but exercising those brain muscles can be fun in a sick sick way ;)

#17 - You could say I was a little selfish on the evening of Valentine's Day ;)

#36 - Freaking out that I wouldn't be able to fulfill the Opera task because of scheduling...I think I'm going to be able to see the Florentine Opera's The Magic Flute in April!

#45
- Recipes
2. Broccoli Cashew Slaw
3. Parsnip, Turnip, Carrot Quinoa Soup
4. Butternut Squash Soup

#50 - I totally did NOT get to try my atypical veggie broccoli rabe...I checked the store a couple times and they never had it, so it's probably out of season. So I'll have to do two this month. I really am running out of options, so I think I'll just go in and choose a couple weird things they've got lying around.

#51 - Well I only ended up cheating twice on "no buying anything for myself"...the Ray LaMontagne tix as well as a ticket for Wynton Marsalis at the MSO next Sunday. Both cultural though...and I'm supporting the arts in these harsh economic times, so I don't feel too bad (thanks Monica!)

This month I'm not officially giving anything up since I've already given up both coffee and Facebook (the horror) for Lent!

#64 - I already crossed this off my list, but turns out I'm going to Vegas too! We bought our tickets for Aug 20-23, non stop flight and three day stay at the Flamingo for $360!!! Not. Bad. Atall.

#68 - Yesterday Z and I stopped at Leon's Custard for some delicious sweet treats! I got the Tin Roof (like a peanut buster parfait at DQ) and it was glorious. I could feel the fat coursing through my veins and I didn't care!

#85 - Still working on a ton of stuff for work including a new landing page that I did from home when I had the flu earlier this month!

#87 - I like the sound of the electronic neo "new wave" (big surprise) band Plushgun and also discovered the show Spring Awakening through a friend/coworker. It's Rent and a little Sondheim.

#95 - I'm about to begin How to Meditate by Lawrence LeShan, and like I said last month, should be perfect for Lent.

Perusing this list just now, I'm starting to think I'm really not going to accomplish everything. For example, due to the afore-mentioned harsh economic times, it would be kinda lame to increase my 401k. Sure I'd be saving, and saving is very important in times like these. But I need to save for a more proximate future for the time being. So in that case, I might in fact change that one to reflect this...perhaps throw an extra $20 into the savings account (in addition to the $1/day I already save). Another example...I obviously can't donate my blood 8 times in the next 8 months, so I'm considering changing that task to donating my time instead. Something like 8 hours as a volunteer. In any case, one of these days, I'm going to have to sit down and revamp these types of tasks before it gets too late.

That's all I got! I have a feeling my life is about to get way way busy, so any organizational skills I've gained over the last ~2.5 years really needs to come in handy right about now. Wish me luck!

4 comments:

Amanda said...

Yay such a fun list this time around! The perfect mix of productivity, creativity and self-indulgence ;) I have this feeling that things are really going to start picking up for you in all areas of life soon. Then before you know it the weather will be beautiful and the awesomeness of summertime in Milwaukee will truly begin. I can't wait!

Diana Laurence said...

Wow, it's comment on your loved one's blog day!!

I discovered Spring Awakening via the XM Broadway channel last year--Duncan Sheik and all--did you know it's based on a 19th century German play that was super controversial and banned in some places? (I learned all this from the radio.) It really seems like a great show. I just didn't want you to think anything happens on Broadway that I don't know about. LOL

This is actually the best time in the world for 20-seomthings to be putting money into a 401(k) as just about all the stocks in the universe are undervalued. But also not a bad idea to save for a rainy day, seeing as no one's job is totally secure! Sigh.

Miss Organizized said...

I totally figured you'd know Spring Awakening! And yep, Michael from work told me the plot while we were listening, and then I recapped by looking it up on wiki. Very interesting!

I think I put 5% into my 401k and CK only matches up to 5% so anything else I put in there is my own which I might want to save for the near future IN CASE someone's job goes kaput! Hopefully not, but ya never know I guess!

Monica O'Neill said...

I can't believe the end of this whole phenomenom is over kinda soon! Like that there's things you know you can't complete due to time. Wow!
I like your idea of volunteering to replace donating blood! Maybe you can volunteer at the Humane Society!!!!! ;)