Tuesday, October 23, 2007

looking in the liquor cabinet...

I think I once referred to that blessed recipe to whip up when life hands you lemons? Well, life hit me with a sack full of pennies, is there an alcoholic solution to that?

No no, I'm too dramatic. It's just that I can't even count how many times being nice to people backfires so easily. I recall a time when I put together a bunch of little baskets of treats/homemade ornaments for Christmas and passed them out to my fellow Roundys employees anonymously. I think there were 35 of them or so? In any case, that morning I felt so good and Christmassy about it. Well a few minutes later, strange comments went around our room...people saying they were "weirded out" by the gift and such. It was heartbreaking. I don't think I even ever admitted I was the one who created the gifts except to a few select friends who asked why I was so sad that day.

Well, something very similar happened today in regards to my 'going all out' for Monica's bachelorette party. I won't go into the idiotic details, but it hurt my feelings like nobody's business. And maybe this particular person's feelings were hurt as well...but they decided to spread the love and make sure I knew it. Whether or not this person's qualms are valid doesn't matter...it's just the way it was handled and the nonacceptance of the fact that I really tried hard with this party (..."and this is the thanks I get" comes to mind).

In any case, when this happens it's easy to lose sight of one's purpose regarding altruism and general unabashed kindness. Honestly we really aren't supposed to expect good in return...it should be kindness for the sake of kindness, MAYBE hoping that at the very least it will be contagious. We are human, however, and it's hard not to be hurt when a bad apple spoils the bunch. In this case, 99 percent of the ladies who attended this soiree were incredibly helpful, sweet, and most importantly, appreciative. So why let the one who wasn't spoil it for me? I can lift up my head, rise above it, and move right along with my mantra that kindness is always the best answer. (And when you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all?? Or rather cut what you are saying short and stop before your hands get any dirtier! haha!)

And like clockwork, just now I got the sweetest email from one of the moms who attended the event... "Monica is sure lucky to have you by her side" pretty much makes everything all sunny and fuzzy bunnies again :)

4 comments:

Jen said...

Katie, People Suck! Karma...hers will get her in the end. You mom was telling me about the saga. Un freaking believable. That girl is going to get hers. I think you should have said, "I'm sorry that my best wasn't good enough for you and that you felt the need to point it out." Cough...and I hope you slip and fall!

Miss Organizized said...

Haha!! Jen you rule!! Man, the whole thing was so unbelievable. But as mom will attest to, Monica and I worked everything out and I feel SO much better!!! Blood may be thicker, but you cannot sever the bind between best friends :)

Amanda said...

I think whenever I deal with horrible, ungrateful people from now I'll tell myself...yeah, but there's also Pink Floyd. So how bad can the world be really? :)

Miss Organizized said...

Isn't that just the case Mandsi? Why is it that the make everything so right with the world?? I totally wrote Aussie an email...who knows if they'll read it, but I just had to gush :)