Monday, December 1, 2008

how quickly things go south

I was just thinking yesterday how I never have anything interesting to put in these blog posts anymore, except for stupid list updates. I made a comment about how perhaps no news is good news. But in reality, no news is like the most boring thing of all time. I went to one of those Pampered Chef parties this weekend and I literally had jack to tell my friend whom I haven't seen or even talked to in months. Oddly enough, I'm not even bored. I always have 3948203 projects and social events going on and barely find enough time to myself. But meanwhile, I find that many of my friends have really fun things to tell people: kids in school, how it feels to be pregnant, book sales, grad school, new job, new boyfriend, new pet, new home, and various other life successes. My life is at a shocking standstill. And what's worse is that I feel like I'm moving, but just going absolutely nowhere. I'm totally one of those wind-up toys that hit a wall and continue to march in place. So much energy and drive to put into something, but that 'something' doesn't exist.

Problem number one is definitely my job. I keep doing and doing and I feel like I'll never get anywhere. I will always keep trying and have hope, but each day, I'm not going to lie, that hope dies a little. And the big question looms: how much longer do I keep trying?

Problem number two is definitely relationships. Despite the fact that I've told myself and various others countless numbers of times: being single is so much better than being in a shitty relationship...sometimes I catch myself remembering that, even in a shitty relationship, I could at least deceive myself into thinking that I was loved. Being loved by someone [romantically of course] is officially the one thing you really need to feel complete. I think I've learned that now. And worse yet, even feeling fake loved seems to be a better alternative to knowing you've got no one. It's all in the validation. Why do so many people stick with someone who is wrong for them? Because loneliness really blows, that's why. Well, I guess I'm just a strong person. Had I been any weaker, and knowing the lonely alternative, I'm sure I would've just stuck with the whole John situation, even knowing that he didn't really care about me at all. I could always trick myself into thinking he did. I don't know, perhaps it's knowing that he was able to jump right into a "successful" relationship so easily and never got to feel an ounce of loneliness. Then having that comparison up in my face five days a week...wow, it does wonders for my ego and sense of fairness in the world.

In any case, someone needs to throw me a bone here. I'm so sick of the limbo period. I'm sick of not having anything fun and new to enjoy, and yes, I admit it, to tell people about. I'm sick of feeling like my life is a total waste of space. And I'm also sick of feeling sick about all of this. I hate whiny, woe-is-me, pathetic Katie...she's the worst! But at least it's more interesting than lame list updates.

8 comments:

Diana Laurence said...

What a drag, Katesi! Man, something's gotta give soon. People as nice, fun, interesting and talented as you are never stay in Boring Limbo for long. I guess all you can do is be glad you're not having a 2002 year. But I hope something breaks soon!

Drop The Gloves! said...

What are your plans for New Years? Get back to me!

Miss Organizized said...

2002 would be MUCH worse that's for sure!! And even 2007 was a worse year than 08. I guess I'm just tired and could really use a solid year of really great stuff. But you can't just wait around for something good to happen, you have to make it happen. All I can do is keep trying...

Monica O'Neill said...

I think you're looking at your list updates as boring, b/c you've been doing it so long - it's just part of your life now. But *I* still think it's really interesting, all the things you are doing. Your social life, your creative projects, your cooking. Just because they're not dates, or new jobs, or more money - doesn't mean they're not great things going on in your life!
I mean, look at Tim & I! Sure, we're having a baby - whoo hoo! But we barely go out and do anything cool like you, I don't have all these fun artistic projects to be proud of, and the dinners we eat are nowhere near on par with yours :)
so don't get too down on yourself. Just b/c RIGHT NOW you're not experiencing those major things in life, doesn't mean you're not experiencing LIFE - b/c you totally are! More than most people I know!
So chin up, little one!!! :)

Miss Organizized said...

My friend Kim emailed me today about this post and between the two of you, I sort of lightened up a bit :)

I agree that this is totally a case of Grass is Greener :) And doesn't THAT sound familiar! I should really take some of my own medicine sometimes!

And what you said about experiencing Life...so so so true! I mean obviously I'm not just sitting on my ass doing nothing. And just because I'm not doing the same "something" as other people, doesn't make my "something" boring.

Well I should focus back on that six months list shouldn't I? Sheesh!! Silly Katie :)

MyMuse said...

Glad you are feeling "up" again! I DREAM aboiut having a life like yours where I can go out and do projects and have a career and blah blah everything because i am consumed by kids 24/7!! It's crazy how we women want to have everything and more and struggle so hard to find a perfect balance. We want to be moms and wives but also be successful career women and independent and social. I think I may get there someday; maybe when i'm 50!!!!!!

Miss Organizized said...

Tina, you are very right...I think it's just that we want it all. Because I know that once I were to have a family, there'd be no way I'd have time to do all the fun projects and see all my friends all the time. So you really have to make an Either/Or decision. Luckily all of it is equally rewarding in its own way. My projects can be like my children and my friends like my family :)

Amanda said...

Awww Katesi. As far as where I'm coming from, well there was a long period where I felt exactly like this. It's why I came up with my 25/25 list so I could feel like I was doing something with my life. I got to really be happy doing it. And now I'm actually kinda sad because even though I have Nate now and it's been wonderful, I haven't been able to work on my list. That was a huge part of my identity and now the struggle for me becomes balancing everything. For what it's worth, you being strong enough to walk away from John was one of the single greatest things you ever did and I was so proud of you for it. I know it sucks to be alone but I admire people who can fight through the loneliness and stand on their own way more than people who stay in bad relationships for the companionship. Hang in there, I KNOW things will all work out for you :)