Friday, October 10, 2008

never too late for the first of the month post

And not only is the month practically half over, but it's all WARM and stuff! My last post was all "summer's over wah wah" and it's going to be a balmy 77 today! And what better to celebrate the warmup than to have a cold, CLASSIC. But I'm already on the mend, I think this was my shortest cold ever, thanks immune system!

In other news, my various updates:

#1 - oh man have I been given one fantastic opportunity!! All I'll mention is that it does involve building websites. All last week I slaved to the bone day and night working on a 'test' project and I think that considering I have barely any web experience, I've done pretty well! It's a little buggy and I think I might have gone about it in the wrong way, but that's why I do definitely need some professional training whether it be a class or what have you. I've done a decent job of teaching myself what I can, but I do so much better when I have structure around me. For example, thought I could go about teaching myself photography? Well I know enough to get by, but I would fair so much better if I was in a real class. In any case, I think I might go ahead and cross this one off as soon as I'm done with the project!! I earned it!

#17 - Hmmm selfish. I wrote a letter...which wasn't so much selfish and more focused on self. Self centered? I don't know...reading lots of Dalai Lama lately, I truly and honestly wanted to move along a more positive path and I guess I felt as though that warranted a letter. Has the letter changed things? Partly yes and partly #1 happened and I was incredibly touched by that...whether or not that situation was aided by my letter is debatable and something I'll never know, but it was a positive event and it made me feel great! As for the 'partly no,' I still feel the distance. It isn't cold anymore, but I wish I was just like the rest of my group. The sad thing that I have to admit to myself is that I never will be. Anyway, sorry to be so vague here, but I just didn't want to go into it TOO much.

#57 - While I mentioned Six Flags in my Ode to Summer of '08, I have yet to wax poetic. I can't believe I went back after TEN YEARS. I admit, I was honestly pretty afraid of how my body would handle a roller coaster after all this time, but it was bloody brilliant!!! I'm really stoked that I still love the thrill and it doesn't terrify me. Ok it terrified me a little. Going up that first hill of Raging Bull for the very first time? I mean if someone was standing halfway up and asked me if I wanted to continue...that it would be perfectly ok to stop the ride? I think I might have taken him up on it! But since I had no choice, I hit the top and took the plunge and it was GLORIOUS!!! Ahhh thank you Kohls! See you next year!!

#50
- Atypical veggie = leeks (see below)

#45 - Pumpkin Muffin Stuffing
Alright so I cheated. This recipe called for the sweetest of sweet bakery and yet I gave up sweet bakery for October. But I fulfilled my Sept recipes and then some, so I made this one on like Sept 29 and finished eating it Sept 30...blah.

Anyway, here's the recipe for the most awesome stuffing of all time (aka I'm never having regular stuffing again):

2 leeks - rinsed, cut lengthwise into half-moons and chopped
(yeah I cheated again and had my atypical veggie for Oct in Sept, BUT I had leeks in my soup later in the week!)
2 ribs of celery - chopped
1 gala apple - peeled, cored and chopped
3 pumpkin muffins (I have the unadulterated pleasure of purchasing these delectable treats at my local Picknsave Metro Market...I hope you can find them somewhere??)
sausage (I had to use links that I cut into pieces, but I suggest getting the regular, non-encased stuff)
1 cup of chicken broth
poultry seasoning (I actually used pinches of thyme, sage, rosemary, marjoram, and All Spice...or nutmeg...from my Wheel O' Spices)

Brown the sausage and set aside on a paper towel to drain. To the same pan, add the leeks, apples, and celery along with some S&P and stir for a few minutes until soft. Crumble in the muffins and add seasoning/spices. Add the broth, a little at a time...you don't have to add the full cup, it depends on how moist you like your stuffing (that's what she said?). Then add back in the sausage and you're good to go! Super super easy especially for a day like T'Gives where you've got 948230423 other recipes to worry about!

No comments: