Thursday, February 15, 2007

keepin it cuban

4/4 - Note: all of the numbering prior to and including this entry is off because I changed my list. Carry on!

A few more updates! Life has been topsy turvey lately, but my list is keeping me sane I guess... Oh and please try not to gag at this first one! ;)

#16 Surprise John (1/33)
A little ironic considering my week, but I surprised...or at least tried to surprise John yesterday for Valentine's Day. I bought a red shadow box and put a bunch of mementos and a couple photos of us inside with pushpins (totally stole this idea from HIS last years' Vday gift to ME!!) Then I taped lyrics to "our songs" along the frame of the box. I also got a red retro vase a put a red, orange, and purple rose inside (kinda representing me, him and Grace). I wrapped the shadowbox in a Captain America tshirt I got from Target. I followed my "hand made cards" task and made a Valentine's card for him too. AAAANYWAY, that morning I walked over to his condo building and like a flipping STALKER, waited for a car to drive out of the garage so I could "sneak in". Ahhh it would be so much easier to surprise him if I had a key.... ;) I quietly left the package and flowers by his door and ran out and off to work. When he got to work, he said that he found the gifts, and read the card, but didn't open the bag because he was rushing out the door. I was a little bummed, but oh well. He had a present for later. I think he liked it all? Not sure if he was "surprised" per se?

#29 Ten new restaurants (1/10)
Last night I did Vday with the ladies and had dinner at Cubanitas on Milwaukee St. OhmyFABULOUS!!! In case you're curious, their specialty, the Cuban Sandwich, is roast pork, sliced ham, swiss cheese, mustard, and a thin dill pickle pressed on Cuban bread (flown in!) so it’s all melty and gooey...man almighty I want to DIE just thinking about it! With it I got sweet plantains...equally as to die for. Seriously. I also had a mojito...I'd be a fool not to! They definitely have the best mojitos in the city. With Cheesecake Factory at a close second interestingly enough... So my first restaurant out of ten, I give an A+! I can't wait to go back for that sandwich. Also, I wanted to try one of my friends' fried plantains, but because of my fried food ban this month, I refrained. Next time though!

#44 & 45 Four new recipes (3/4) and (1/50) recipes from Christmas Cookbooks
I made a Chicken and Orzo recipe from Rachael Ray's "Comfort Foods" book. I know I just gushed about food, but man, this dish was fab too! Diced chicken, garlic and onion, chicken stock, fresh thyme and orzo basically simmering in a pot for 20 minutes...then you had a ton of an Italian shredded cheese mix and black pepper. So wonderful and totally the epitome of comfort food, which I needed this week :)

Fifteen minutes till I'm OUTTA here...and I'm starving of course!

No comments: