Wednesday, January 2, 2008

blogcap

Alright this will be your typical update, nothing fancy!

8. I got a sweet Photography book for Christmas (The Betterphoto Guide to Digital Photography by Jim Moitke) and I'm like a quarter way through it. He's absolutely perfect at explaining all the ins and outs...I mean some of it is more basic and obvious, but sometimes relearning the most general stuff is really important! And so to celebrate (even though I'm technically supposed to reward myself AFTER I finish the book)...

9. I bought my camera!!!

(copying Z with her lovely camera photo as well!)
It's a nice transition from my more simple point-and-shoot compact Pentax from 2004...yet not AS complex as an SLR. I can futz with the aperture and shutter speed but I'm not completely out on my own. There are even a few accessories available for the S5...lenswise and such, so that's nice too! Some day down the line, especially if photography truly does become a more serious hobby for me, I can drop a grand on a DSLR ;) Anyway, I'm going to try and find a camera bag tomorrow and get me some sweet Eneloop rechargeable batteries from Amazon!

14. I can't even describe to you the epic amounts of paper craft stuff I got this Christmas...it's INSANE. I could seriously open up my own card shop at this point...just gotta create the product! So on that note...I can seriously go to town on at LEAST coming up with some general ideas for packs of cards that I'd be able to sell at this imaginary craft show. I like the idea of funky monogrammed notes (like a cross between a card and stationary). And I don't know if it's because I know like six pregnant women right now, but I'm drawn to making some fun baby announcement packs. Anyway, I have more than enough paper to do this...it's just a matter of finding the time!

17. While Christmas gifts shouldn't count for my "John surprise" I did put together an entire photo album (200 pix) of Grace pictures for one of his presents! (AND one for his parents too!) I think he really liked it and it'll be nice to keep building Grace centric photo albums in the coming years.

32. OK there's no way we're EVER going to play boardgame at Monica's...I made that one of my tasks back when Monica's was totally still our bar...which was subsequently replaced by Bad Genie, which will undoubtedly be replaced by some other bar when we're sick of it. But anyway, John, Nicole, Z and I did GO to Monica's the night after Christmas and it was a great time until John and I ruined it with our love quarrel *gag* ;) Another reason we'll probably never go back. Sigh. So I completed half of this task...blah blah blah.

43. Z got me a subscription to Women's Health for Christmas! Thanks Zeetlebug!! It will pair nicely with my new twist step machine from Johnny :)

45./50.
Kale is really good! I was expecting a more bitter taste I think...but Kale is more savory. I liked it a lot! It's hearty too, so it does make a good winter veggie as they all say! As for the last recipe of the month: I made the kale with some brie and bacon. Ok that was super easy, but December's been busy! ;)

Veggie for January: The Parsnip! I was inspired by some parsnip potato hash dish Rachael Ray made the other day. Oh Rache!

51.
And my give-up for January is sweet bakery (but not bagels!) once again. Yeah I think I'm going to have to recycle a few now that it's been about a year. Although I'm not sure I'll ever be able to recycle "No Alcohol except Miller Lite" ever again!

87.
Just in the nick of time, Mandsi gave me her annual compilation cd for Christmas on which are three great new-to-me bands: Camera Obscura, Rogue Wave, and Sweet! I definitely need to look into these in more depth...


And that's all she wrote. New Year's Eve was a blast and I think I rang in the new year just right! It might have just been my imagination, but the second the clock struck midnight, I really did feel a weight lifted from my life. Haha! Yeah, just that mind trickery again...but I hope it keeps working. Coming back to work today hasn't been amazing, but it hasn't been awful either. I'll go with boring over awful any day ;)

So to 2008! Mildly entertaining instead of insanely stupid!

5 comments:

nik von H said...

I second that emotion (your last sentence). We all need a much better year!

And your mention of brie and bacon has my mouth watering....

Jen said...

Wow, Congrats on the new camera! I'm jealous...well sorta anyway. I still love my SLR but I find myself not taking it out very often to play. I like the instant gratification of my little digital and the fact that it goes with me everywhere. Ah, someday.


Ohh, a cute baby announcement type thing that I used to do was create a onesie with flocked paper of some sort, 3 brads or eyelets down the center and three across the bottom. It was SOOOOOO cute. And then of course chalk in all the right places. =) I'm sure I could dig up a picture if you'd like.

Miss Organizized said...

Jen! Definitely send me a photo, that sounds adorable!!

Yes this new camera definitely has a lot more bits and pieces and I can see wanting to simply bust out my easy little camera, but I gotta be in this for the long haul!! Right now I'm obsessed with the new camera though, so it won't be a problem...last night I couldn't put it down! It wasn't even ON, and I just held it like a baby. I'm nuts!!

Monica O'Neill said...

Sooo...you COULD count playing board games at TIM & Monica's...whaddya think!?!?

: D

Monica O'Neill said...

I have a new-to-me artist suggestion!!!
"Cliffs of Dover" by Eric Johnson (1990) - it's from Guitar Hero, of course and it is SUCH a fun song. Instrumental, but it sounds like what a super happy and hyper 4yr old girl looks like jumping and dancing around in her bedroom!!!!