Friday, September 19, 2008

more food!

#90 - Well I finally watched the moonrise! I didn't actually get to see it come up from the lake horizon, but it was pretty close. I originally had "watch the moonrise 4x" on my list and changed it for fear that I'd barely get to do it once! So I think I'll try it again within the next year, hopefully when I have a tripod and can take some pix. In any case, this particular time was extra cozy! Mandsi walked with me down to the hill that overlooks the lakefront and we indulged in some lovely boy talk as the large orange waning gibbous hung low amongst wisps of clouds in the dark sky. ;)

#45 - Two new recipes for Sept!

1. Chicken Curry and Rice mmmmmmm
Oh man was this a recipe and a half! SO delicious!! Here's my best translation:

First, prepare a couple servings of jasmine rice per package directions and keep warm to the side. Then, in a hot dry skillet, brown a medium sized palmful of curry powder...this brings out the flavor and spiciness! After a couple minutes, constantly stirring so it doesn't burn, add a tsp of paprika, 1/2 tsp of cinnamon, and a sprinkling of red pepper flakes. Then add a half of an onion, a couple garlic cloves, and a red bell pepper...all chopped. Cover to steam and stir every minute or so until veggies are soft. Cut two chicken breasts into bite sized pieces (season with salt and pepper) and add to the veggie mixture. Then add a TB of tomato paste or ketchup, 2/3 cup of plain yogurt, and 3/4 cup of coconut milk (I used like 2/3 of a can). Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 25 minutes. Sprinkle with chopped green onions (and salt if necessary). YUM!!! It's even better the next day, per usual! It made my whole apartment smell like curry of course, but this was NOT a bad thing!!! Unless someone in your living quarters doesn't like Indian or Thai food of course. Then I guess you're out of luck ;)

2. Butternut Squash Chicken Bake with Rice

This was sort of a cheating recipe, but I just took my leftover V8 butternut squash soup (like a third of the box), to which I had added a quarter of an onion and a couple garlic cloves...and added barely a quarter of a cup of water, a half cup of uncooked jasmine rice, and a cubed small sweet potato (for seasonings I added some red pepper flakes, a little brown sugar, and some nutmeg). I seasoned a chicken breast with paprika, steak seasoning, and cumin and seared both sides on a hot pan with olive oil for a couple minutes each side (until slightly browned). I put the breast in a small greased baking dish and topped it with the soup mixture. Baked in a 350 degree preheated oven for about 40 minutes. I added a little bit of mozzarella to it when it was done. GLORIOUS.

So just one more to go which I'm sure I can squeeze in next week.

By the by, I will fully admit that knowing I only have a smidge over a year left to complete all 101 things, and have barely touched any of my creative projects, keeps me up at night :\

3 comments:

Amanda said...

Okay I am officially STARVING. Doesn't help that I've got leftover way of Sub in my bag wafting towards me.

Awww, moon rise was the bizomb! Cozy indeed.

MyMuse said...

don't let it keep you up at night! I can't believe you actually have completed so many things. I can't even imagine being able to do that, especially right now! ;)

Miss Organizized said...

Thanks T!! I just have to really buckle down this next year. Take advantage of the fact that I'm single with barely any responsibilities because at one point (well hopefully), I will no longer have that "luxury"...