Wednesday, September 24, 2008

even MORE eatery

Could I BE writing any more blog posts this month???

For my last Sept recipe, I made THIS! Thanks Zeetlebug it was yumtastic!!

I also have to mention the best spaghetti sauce ever!! I've always been sort of whatevs about red sauce. I hated spaghetti, or any Italian food, as a child (bizarre right?)...and to this day, I'll usually order something more exotic like a vodka tomato cream sauce or simple garlic infused olive oil type sauce if I'm at an Italian joint...never a plain, run of the mill, basic spaghetti sauce. But I now create a red sauce myself that I would eat above all other options if I had the choice!

1 small eggplant
1 zucchini
1 tomato (a really beefy one from the farmer's market would be great!)
a boatload of cremini mushrooms (like 10+)
half white onion
4+ garlic cloves
...all chopped

After sauteeing all these guys for several minutes (onion/garlic...then other veggies, but the mushrooms last!), I add a can of Contadida thick & zesty tom sauce (because why should I do all the work?) plus a couple TBs of tom paste. Then spices...anything you've got like dried oregano and/or basil, red pepper flakes, pepper. PLUS, and here's the trickery, a tsp or so of chicken stock granules AND a tsp or so of sugar! Now let that all stew together-covered-stirring every so often, for 10-20 mins. DEEEEELISH! If I had some, I would've added chopped fresh basil leaves to the sauce once it was done. Maybe next time!

To accompany this fine meal, I made this concoction that Z developed the other day. Mashed Cauliflower that tastes WAY better than mashed potatoes...well, at least in my opinion. The fact that it's better for you may have something to do with it. Just steam a heck load of frozen cauliflower in a half inch of chicken stock for awhile (until fork tender)...throw the drained veggies into a blender with some pressed garlic and a tiny bit of sour cream (I actually used a TB of this garlic dip my mom gave me)...blend away until the consistency of mashed tatos and you're done. No need to add salt as there is plenty in the stock, but add pepper or any other spice that suits your fancy. I swear, you gotta try...they are freaking GOOD!!


So that's my food rant for now. I think it's because I've been nothing but HUNGRY these days. I may or may not have mentioned the layer of fat my body wants to put on for the oncoming winter.

Meanwhile I'd like to touch base on the fact that, lately, when I go to bed at night, I cannot fall asleep for the life of me because I think about 234983204 projects and really cool ideas I want to do. I feel as though I need to hire a team...like I'd come up with projects, and then delegate tasks to them. There are not enough hours in the day! Especially when it's suddenly tv season again :\ In any case, today I'm going to write down everything I've thought of and try to come up with a game plan to get them accomplished.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Awww thanks for the food shout outs! Glad someone else besides me is enjoying these recipes :)