Thursday, April 10, 2008

rainy days Thursdays always gettin' me down

No, I'm not really all that down, but it's so yuck outside right now. I'm all for some April showers, but not when the high is only 39! What is with this weather?? I honestly feel like it's never going to be warm. Or like this summer is seriously going to be two months long (July and August) and then September will roll around and will have this freak cold snap and it'll be back in the 30s. Wow.

To update!

45. Recipe: I've only made one so far, yip! But it was crazy good...Crab Caper I'll call it: imitation crab, miracle whip and sour cream, garlic, lemon juice/zest, and capers. Good and good for you! Tonight I'll hopefully make some kind of scallop asian dish...

51. Give up: This meat thing is a piece of cake! I think I just don't eat meat all that much. But it's really easy to find replacements between all the other proteins like eggs, veggie burgers, almonds, black and 'bonzo beans, and of course seafood of all kinds. The only hiccup that came about was that at Houlihans this past weekend, I did partake in these blue cheese tato tots that contained bacon bits. But you could barely taste them and who knows, maybe it was fake bacon? ha! But speaking of the tots, I indulged during my trip down to Chicagoland during which Monica was sweet enough to make sure we had several meatless meals! Friday she made tilapia, Saturday we had grilled cheese for lunch, and Sunday morning, we made veggie omelets. Yay!

54. Haircut: Katie's New Short Hair Phase II! I just came back from my appt at lunch. Fun!

74. Parking Ticket: This is nice! Ok so on my way to work I passed this car with a parking ticket in the window and thought: I should really fulfill my 'pay someone else's ticket' task soon...especially since *I haven't had a ticket in ages (knocking on all wood everywhere!!!). Well there were all kinds of people around, so I chickened out. Coming back at lunch, however, I saw the ticket was still there...and I also remembered that I could just write down the plate number because that's all you need to pay online! Done. And when I got to the citation on the website, it turns out the ticket was only $15. Wow I lucked out! But it also made me want to do it more often, so we'll see. Maybe it'll be an occasional good deed in my life! Although I did pass by the same car yesterday and it was parked in the same place, sans ticket, but with no money in the meter. LEARN FROM YOUR MISTAKE! ;)

95. Books books books: I finished On a Pale Horse at the hospital this weekend whilst waiting for new Baby Bianca to be born! Good stuff. It was a little difficult reading the last few chapters post my John breakup as he's the one who gave it to me for Christmas and I had read most of it relaxing on the sunny patio in Arizona :\ Not a caaaare in the woooorld....... Anyway! Now I'm reading the always daring Jay McInerney (read Story of My Life a little while ago, I THINK post breakup the last time?). This one is his first novel Bright Lights Big City which came highly recommended from my sis. The book's uniqueness comes from the fact that it's written in second person, very rare. I feel as if it reads like American Psycho, without the psycho. Very Patrick Bateman, which makes sense as Bret Easton Ellis is sort of inspired by McInerney. It won't take me too long to get through and the next book on the agenda is Mere Christianity by C.S.Lewis. My mom's a huge fan and he's all she can read lately ;)

And that's what I got. Tomorrow is John's birthday bash at Genie...we'll see how that goes? Hopefully it isn't too awkward. I mean the JOHN part won't be weird because we've actually been on pretty good terms. It'll be everyone else from John's brother/brother-in-law to our mutual friend couple who were together less than John and I, but just got engaged, to those who DON'T know "the news," but might find out. Wah wah waaaaah.

But on that note, like I said, John and I are now doing ok with the anti-awkward. It's easy to be angry or bitter or whatever, but that puts me in a really sour mood. I spent all of Monday crying and that was NOT fun. Since then though, I'm trying to keep things pretty normal. We chat in the morning about whatever's going on, etc etc. And it's nice because it doesn't feel like such a drastic life change. Lately I get these flashes of a memory together. Like when he bought me this Asian sushi plate set at Target one night just for the fun of it, which lead me to thinking about the two of us driving in Little Black Car and deciding to go get drinks at Chilli's for fun. But when that happens, I mentally bury the memory almost like a funeral! ha! Just say goodbye to it I guess. Interestingly enough, bad memories will pop into my head as well...like fights we had or something and I'll kinda smile a little ;)

That's me in a nutshell for now!

1 comment:

MyMuse said...

Wow, that ticket paying thing was really nice of you! I wish someone did that for me; I just got a huge parking ticket for parking in a handy spot accidentally! I didn't see the sign!
I hope things work out with you and John being friends and stuff. Good luck this weekend! But you sound like you are in a better place about it now than you were last time, so that's good.
Oh, and I can't wait to see your hair!