Monday, February 25, 2008

Dad

This will be a completely random post, but I was listening to Alphaville today and it reminded me of when my sis and I visited my dad in Madison, and, while he was at work, we would play his Alphaville's Forever Young cd over and over. I even sneakily dubbed "Forever Young" onto a mix tape I had with me. This past November 27th marked five years since his death...it's crazy to think that it's been five years already. Well, for some reason this past weekend, I thought about him a lot. Perhaps it was due to the late night dessert with Z at The Knick on Friday, or how Katie asked me if I had any contact with my dad's 'partner' Jeff on Saturday, or maybe the fact that Sunday was Oscar Night...my dad was everywhere! And like I told Z at the Knick, it's so strange but, to this day, I still feel like I see him and when I do, I ALWAYS do a double take to make sure it isn't him. She does the same thing, so I'm not crazy ;) In any case, listening to Alphaville, I was flooded with all kinds of memories of my dad and I thought I'd list a few of them for the heck of it.

In a sort of chronological order:

-When I watched my dad deliver sermons, I'd think he was Jesus? Which is funny because he sooo wasn't, but isn't it a tad adorable coming from a four year old?

-He, my sis, and I would go to Adventureland (a poor man's Six Flag's) in Altoona, IA. And just as we were coming up on the entrance, my dad would stop and say "Wait a minute, this isn't where I want to turn, we're actually going to the dentist!" and it would crack us up!

-Dancing in the living room to Madonna's "La Isla Bonita" and knowing, at age 6, that it was my dad's favorite song, YET completely unaware that he was gay!

-Seeing BOTH my parents dress up as Rocky Horror characters to go to the midnight showing...still oblivious to my dad's homosexuality. Jeez.

-Watching To Kill A Mockingbird in his studio apartment, which was on Cass and very near to where I live now! It could honestly be south of our apartment building right across the parking lot!

-When he took Mandsi and I to La Péniche several times when we visited him in New Orleans circa'93. She and I gave every waiter there a nickname, like after Soap characters and whatnot? Likewise when he took us to Cafe du Monde for late night hot chocolate and beignets.

-Going to the three hour, late night Easter Vigil at St. John's Cathedral and then grabbing some dessert afterwards at what I think was Ma Fischer's or perhaps Annie's cafe (which was replaced by Kohl's and then replaced by my beloved Metro Market!)

-Going to see Joseph and His Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat in Chicago and then heading to this diner afterward where this gay guy pretended to strut a runway during the breakdown in Wilson Phillips' "Hold On".

-Driving to Madison late at night in his teal Pontiac Sunbird, the cozy dark countryside, and the sleep inducing buzz of talk radio.

-Being all stoked and feeling awesome when I walked into his favorite bar, the Crystal Corner, to partake in Jeopardy shenanigans after getting my tattoo when I was 18.

-"Letting me" order a rum and coke at a restaurant when I was so not 21!

-The dinners he'd make when we'd visit...nothing extravagant, but there was something about them that rocked. Especially that special barbecue sauce he had.

-His and Jeff's joint birthday parties in October: their apartment stuffed with all kinds of interesting folk, young and old: the air filled with cigarette smoke, we all drank red wine, and Abba, Erasure, Pet Shop Boys, The Talented Mr. Ripley soundtrack, etc would play in the background.

-Many viewings of our favorite musicals: Hair, JC Superstar, Evita...

-His hilarious rants about some customer he had at [insert sales company here, i.e. Steinhafels, Ruben's, the jewelry store in N.O., Jack's Shoes...]

-When he wrote me this very out-of-the-blue email that simply said I love you not too far before he commit suicide.

-And all the little things: his cotton vertical striped dress shirts, when he'd raise one eyebrow to let us know we were in trouble, his singing voice at church, his crazy voice pretending to be a customer, when he'd say "Pardon?" even when we didn't say anything (he had no hearing in his right ear), his kickass apartment in Madison and rad furniture, his record collection, his hilarious sense of humor and his, infrequent, but really great hugs.

To conclude, I think that if my dad were still alive today, he'd get a real kick out of all our lives. I think he'd really enjoy the fact that my mom was writing erotica. I think he'd LOVE the fact that Mandsi lives and breathes film. He'd probably really like our cat Floyd and say that he reminded him of our old cat Steve. He'd enjoy John's decorating style and roll his eyes when I'd tell him that John sort of reminds me of him in some vague way though they're nothing alike! He'd enjoy the fact that I still go to St. John's Cathedral, and am now a member and a Eucharistic minister. And he'd definitely be amazed that Z and I live in the same neighborhood he did after he and my mom separated. Some days I feel like he knows, some days I feel like he doesn't. And I wish we could just grab some coffee and chat for a few hours. The spookiest part is that I feel that that wish isn't all that far fetched. Like one of those things that's so close yet so far away...just out of reach. Because even after five years, it still seems so strange that he's gone. And at the end of the day, maybe that's why I always do double takes when I see a short gray haired man or a teal Sunbird pass me by.

16 comments:

Jen said...

I never knew your Dad so it was nice to read your list from your perspective. It made me tear up.

(((hugs)))

MyMuse said...

This is so bittersweet. I'm glad you have so many great memories to share about him. It makes me think of Josh and how I know he wants to pick up the phone and call Zach to talk just like they did almost every day. It's been five years since your dad passed away and i guess that feeling will never fade; of wanting them back so badly you swear you saw them or can feel their presence. I never knew your dad or heard much about him; it's nice to hear that you guys shared a lot of great memories!

Miss Organizized said...

Aww..thank you Jen! (hugs back at'cha!)

Miss Organizized said...

It's very true Tina...that feeling really never goes away...I'm sure Monica can attest to that too, as well as anyone who has lost someone close to them. But as the time goes by, the feeling isn't as much an empty hole as it is right in the beginning, but rather this bittersweet fuzzy spot. The emptiness is filled with fond distant memories! You wish you could talk to them again, but there's something different...like you feel as though you can in some strange way just by thinking about them! It's strange and hard to explain, but I'm sure you know what I mean ;)

Monica O'Neill said...

That is really the one thing missing from our solid friendship glue of both having lost our dads - is that we never met them! So we only know the stories we tell each other.
And, I'm sure you feel the same way with John, I hate that Tim never knew my dad..But I, like you, see the ways Tim would really like and get along with my dad. Tim's dorkiness with Soduku, Rubiks cube and math-related things.. Also, how Tim wanted Planet Earth - I wanted to buy it for him partially b/c my dad would be OB-SESSED with anything like that, and that makes me feel cozy.
I never think I see my dad anymore..but I do will myself to see him, before every drum corps performance I would close my eyes and say "I love you, Ogre" - and I did that when I was in the bride's room all alone and my ridiculous breakdown on the way down the aisle I think was largely due to that moment of solitude I shared with "Ogre" in the bride's room!
MAN! We are all emotional on these blogs!
But I am so jealous of all those more "adult" memories you have with your dad. How awesome!!! He just sounds like a blast.

Miss Organizized said...

Awww I love your drum corps and bridal room "Ogre Moment"!! That's really nice!! AND made me tear up again, especially down-the-aisle Monica ;) And yeah it was EXTRA special when John and I were in the car once and he said "I really wish I could've met your dad...I think we really would've gotten along!" I bet Tim thinks the exact same thing :) Because while he knows why you're your mom's daughter, he can't grasp what similarities you have with your dad. He only knows through stories. And there's really nothing wrong with that :D

Anyway, yeah it's crazy emotion town (as opposed to eggtown?) in this place lately!! I blame it on my PMS... Well to lighten the mood sort of, here's a funny tidbit: after we put down my cat Steve, I constantly thought I saw him too... once I even thought this bus was Steve!! Don't ask me to explain it, but I did! So maybe my brain is just cuckoo that way!

Monica O'Neill said...

Yea, on the drum corps field and in the bride's room were like my "Jacob's Cabin" or something - they were where I could really feel and sense and practically see the Oge man!
Of course, now I see him in my brother and Nicolas all the time :)
That is such a sweet thing John said! I mean, our parents truly are a part of us, so for Tim & John who know us pretty much better than anyone - by not knowing our dads, it's like a little part of our puzzle missing, ya know? But, as with everything, they can only live on in pictures and stories!
Do you know the My Chemical Romance song "The Black Parade" well? I assume you do b/c it was on the radio constantly - but it is TOTALLY this topic! People carrying on in our lives after they're gone, etc. I wanna listen to it right now but don't have my ipod today. Boo!

nik von H said...

I think as I get older my emotions get the best of me a lot easier...not that this isn't an emotional post anyway, but, I totally got choked up.

Like everyone's said I'm glad you have so many wonderful memories with him - and even though I obviously never met him every time I looked at that picture you have outside your cube, I saw you. Knowing your mom and her personality there have been times I've noticed your similar mannerisms...but there is just something about his face in that picture that is totally you.

Miss Organizized said...

Jacob's Cabin NICE ;) And good call on Black Parade! I even opened up someone else's shared playlist on my itunes to listen to it :) I always liked that song...

Diana Laurence said...

Well, I'll chime in with my own comment about people who have passed away, even though it may seem out of left field a bit--There is one person I feel simply has to be living on, even though he died almost 45 years ago: C.S. Lewis. He died the same day Kennedy was assassinated, just before Grandma's dad died.

Obviously I never met him in the flesh, but I guess if you read enough of a person's works, and that person put enough of himself into them, you feel perhaps more intimately acquainted than with many you know personally.

Whenever I think of him, good old St. Jack, it's not of someone "historical," who lived a long time ago. I think of him as alive somewhere still, and it's a pretty strong conviction. It's funny I don't think of your dad or Grandma that way--not that they aren't, just that I don't think of them that way--but with Jack I guess there is always that sense of immortality. It seems as sure as "Once a king or queen in Narnia, always a king or queen."

Now who's crazy? :-)

Momzi

Miss Organizized said...

SUCH sweet things to say Nicole!! Thankies!! :D Hey and there's nothing wrong with growing older and becoming a sap ;) Like getting choked up during those couch-on-the-street Kleenex commercials? Haha!! Now try to avoid watching The Notebook this week.....

Miss Organizized said...

I totally understand what you're saying momsi! I think some of us are just strongly connected to some people (how very Jungian!) and, as Monica pointed out in her "Black Parade" comparison:

We'll carry on, We'll carry on
And though you're dead and gone believe me
Your memory will carry on
We'll carry on
And in my heart I can't contain it
The anthem won't explain it


You carry that particular person with you where ever you go and, in a way, they continue to live on! And hey, CS Lewis is a pretty great person to keep going!

nik von H said...

Funny you mention The Notebook. I saw Lars and the Real Girl with Ryan Gosling last night and when we left I totally said 'now I want to go home and watch The Notebook!'....but I controlled myself and did not, haha.

MyMuse said...

it's really nice to hear these things from the perspective of people who have lost someone and dealt with it over a longer time period. Josh is so afraid of the memories fading, but i don't know how to say to him that they never will. He wishes Zach had "left a legacy" (had children, gotten married, etc..) to help us remember him, but i think in time he'll realize his legacy was not about that; it's about his relationships with all of the people around him. It sounds like it does get less painful with time, of course i would never say that to him right now. But my heart is broken everytime i look at him, i can see he is just so sad...It's interesting to hear the different perspectives from you and monica; similar but different to each other. I guess everyone experiences it in their own way. Sometimes I swear I can feel zach's presence; i get chills. Other times it feels so distant. But it's nice to know that the pain will lessen over time for Josh and his family. Thanks for sharing your experience; it helps a lot to read about it. I will have to tell Josh to read your blog! :)

Miss Organizized said...

Not sure if you'll read these comments again, but Tina I definitely wanted to respond to your last one!! I do definitely understand the "legacy factor"...I often times try to look for my dad in ME as weird as that sounds!! Like how I look like him or act like him. It's a weird way of connecting, but for some reason it works! And TALKING about him is another way of keeping his spirit alive! Sometimes I can't shut up about my dad (this blog is a case in point haha!), but then I remind myself that that's ok because it keeps the memories close and they don't fade! Josh may even see part of Zach in Ethan or your NEW baby at one time! It'll come out of nowhere, but it's definitely been known to happen to people!

It will take awhile, but I'm positive Josh will feel stronger and stronger with time (it heals all wounds!) There's a part of us that will always be "sad"...the part just gets a little smaller through the years :)

MyMuse said...

Thanks, that's really sweet. I know he will heal over time and probably come to appreciate the fact that he had those last moments to say good-bye. I know he already sees a little of Zach in Ethan and who knows, maybe in the new baby too!