Tuesday, February 12, 2008

One Year Anniversary come and gone...

So it's almost the middle of the month and I feel like I'm missing out on my life!! Instead of celebrating my one year 101 Things anniversary, I was simultaneously shivering and sweating in my bed fighting a wicked case of Influenza. So here it is the 12th already and I've gotta whip out my survey before the month is up!

February. Quite a month amongst the other months. And by that I mean, it's not the greatest month on the block. Last February, instead of the flu, I dealt with a wicked case of Heartache when John and I broke up. Saturday it'll officially be One Year Later and I cannot BELIEVE the difference 365 days makes. I can imagine February 16, 2007 like it was yesterday, yet I am WORLDS away from the person I was back then. And lucky for me, John is worlds away from the person HE was back then too. I feel like we grew up, mellowed out, and honestly took stock of what is truly important. Life isn't perfect. The relationship isn't perfect. But I'm not complaining!! Any flaws that are here are the kind of flaws that make it beautiful. The flaws that make it organic, something that breathes and changes. The flaws that make it interesting...as opposed to the flaws that make it nightmarish? Ha! Anyway, I digress. I'm here to survey my past year in regards to THE LIST, so here goes!

The official tally:
I have completed 31 tasks on the list.
6 are in progress, but do have an upcoming completion point.
17 are in progress and will be until the end of the 1001 days.
That leaves 47 tasks that I have yet to even START.

I believe June 15th (if I did that math right) is my official halfway point, so I best be halfway through this list by then...? A lot of the tasks have a summer-y quality, so I definitely hope to get going on those. I really really want to do that sailing task this summer. It's the middle of February and a sunset cruise on a sailboat on Lake Michigan sounds like absolute heaven right now.

What else do I foresee for myself in the coming months, task-wise?
-Well, I'm supposed to get on this website portfolio train, but it's taking a back seat to recent freelance projects and, well, end of winter laziness
-I'd like to finish up my photography book and get going on creating some photography lessons for myself. That way I could officially start these Four Seasons photos. An excellent portfolio item!
-And speaking of photography, 26Things has a new website and its fans are all waiting with bated breath for the first word list!
-As I previously mentioned: a lakefront picnic, Jazz in the Park, State Fair, sailing, the Farmer's Market, Six Flags, and even downpours are all right around the corner...well, not RIGHT around the corner, but a girl can daydream...
-And finally, I desperately need to read more often :\

Right now, I think I just really need to concentrate on the creative part of my life. I still make greeting cards, but something's gotta give with this portfolio situation. I am STILL waiting for a spark of inspiration, but it hasn't happened yet. Today during our company's State of the Agency address, instead of listening I thought about how lame my place is, not just in this company, but in life. I mean in the corporate life, MY life isn't lame ;) My good friend/exroomie from college just got into Harvard and she's literally going to change the world one day. Now I don't need to run and join the Peace Corps (something else she did!), but I do need to make some kind of difference. Nothing major, just something. Anyway, I'll find it one of these days. In the meantime, I'm just going to keep at this List and I PROMISE I'll be more creative soon. I just need to get out of February I think. There's next to nothing inspiring about the month of February. Although the fact that it's not Feb '07 is pretty damn close.

5 comments:

Drop The Gloves! said...

February is the worst month ever for creativity! At least it is if you live in an area that experiences winter, which we both do.

Just wait for the summer; you'll be a a list destroying machine!

I am counting the days until it is sunny and warm again and I can go take pictures of everything.

Amanda said...

I agree with Casey. February pretty much stifles the desire to do ANYTHING. I'm lucky in that my current "creative" project involves watching movies and holing myself up in Barnes & Noble which is perfect for the dark days of winter. Unfortunately I still feel pretty uninspired most of the time and a lot of times I have to force myself to get down to business.

I think you're doing an awesome job on your list so far and I know it's only going to get better once winter is over. Before you know it it'll be Spring and we'll have at least six months of good weather ahead of us!

Miss Organizized said...

Thanks you two! This weather is pretty brutal. Once Feb is over, it's smooth sailing though!! Well, smooth sailing with a couple snags here and there as March isn't the most perfect month.

But then I WILL be a list destroying machine ;)

Monica O'Neill said...

Hey - don't feel like you don't make a difference. Sure, you may not be saving and changing the world, but you are changing and improving your friends' and family's lives by being the great person you are!
Think about that whole story about the guy who's throwing starfish back into the ocean. He's not going to be able to save all of them, but for the ones he does save it is an accomplishment all in itself.

Miss Organizized said...

Awwww!!! What a wonderful thing to say Monica!! Well, thankyou...and until my dying day I will try to throw back as many starfish as I can :)